Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Nature girl... and boy

Honestly, having been born to people who almost always prefer an indoor, air-conditioned room with cable TV and a comfy place to park our buns, the incredible, bone-deep love Sailor and Jack have for the outdoors is amazing.

Sailor has invented a new super hero. She goes by Nature Girl, and she is a defender of all things flora and fauna. She is currently the lead role in the musical being rehearsed and performed (you guessed it!) outside every afternoon. I mentioned this musical in a previous post. I'm assuming you can also guess out who will be playing Nature Girl. From what I can glean from overheard rehearsals, the neighbor kids will be playing both villian and chorus roles. That's assuming she can whip them into shape before the production date. You would not believe the lack of professionalism she has to deal with.

Jack has only recently discovered the wonders of "outside." But it didn't take long for it to become a full-fledged obsession. If anyone dares go outside without him, he will fall to his knees with his face in his little hands and wail. This evening, I took him with me on a quick run out to the car to grab a bag, and the moment he realized that what we were doing was no more than a point A to point B sort of thing, he promptly fell apart. I swear I saw him over in the corner trying to rent his garments.

I guess it's time for Watson and me to work on becoming outdoorsy types. Maybe we can get an extra long, weatherproof cable for the TV...