Tuesday, April 6, 2010

A Very Important Date

Sailor is spending her spring break in Alabama, so Jack and I have a week together. Alone. This is a precious time, when Jack gets me all to himself.

We went to the dollar theatre today to see The Princess and the Frog. Jack ate an entire box of Milk Duds and half a bag of popcorn, and he laughed like a crazed little loon at the onscreen hijinks. I guess it was pretty good. I can't be sure. I sat there for an hour and a half and watched Jack.

I watched the way he oh so carefully lifted the bottle of Sprite to his lips, struggling a bit with the 20 ounce bottle that was too big for his grip. I watched how he scrabbled around in the popcorn bag and was able to completely fill his hand with just four or five pieces of popcorn. I saw him eat the candy, saw him completely unconcerned with the smears of chocolate all over his face. I watched his eyes shine. I watched how he laughed with his whole body, little legs sticking straight out over the edge of the movie seat. I watched how he shuddered and shook when the "bad guys" caught the unwary frogs, and he scampered over to sit in my lap. I looked at his soft little hands as he patted my arm subconsciously, saw him seeking comfort from contact with his mother in a way so natural he didn't really have to think about it. I noticed the little dimples at the bottom of each of his fingers. I held him tight and closed my eyes, relishing how he still fits in my lap just so, and how when he leans back, I can rest my chin on the top of his head. He smells like Buzz Lightyear shampoo, and he's soft and slightly sticky. And I know.

I know with a certainty that stings my eyes and squeezes my heart that this won't last. So today, I spent an hour and a half just looking at my baby.